Parent participation is an EXTREMELY important part of the swimming season. Swim meets, parties, and breakfasts can not be held without the help of our parents. It is required that parents sign up and help at a minimum of four meets and one team activity or your child will not be allowed on the team this year. Additionally, a $35 participation fee is due at the time of registration. Sign up for volunteering and meets is available through swimtopia.
For team breakfasts and activities, parents will be helping with set up, clean up and supervision during the activity. Parents may also be asked to bring in food or other items that will help make the activity possible.
Swim meets absolutely can not happen without the help of the parents. There are a number of different ways that parents can help out so that their child can enjoy their summer swim meet experience. Described below are the positions that need to be filled at every swim meet. Please read them carefully and decide which positions you can fill during the swim meet. Some positions that require training and staying for the entire meet due count double towards your volunteer commitment to assist at 4 swim meets.
- Referee: This official supervises all other officials. He/She is the final authority when a disqualification has occurred and makes those decisions based on the technical rules of swimming. Counts double **
- Stroke and Turn Judge: This official makes sure that each swimmer is legally swimming each stroke based on the rules of that stroke. Counts double **
- Starter: This official begins each race and ensures that each swimmer is given a fair race. Counts double **
- Head Timer: This official is in charge of the timers in all lanes. He/She will provide stopwatches to those times that have missed a start and will ensure that each timer is ready at the beginning of each race.
- Timers: This position is to ensure that each swimmer is given an accurate time on their swim. There are generally three timers to each lane and all three times are written on the timing sheet. Stopwatches are provided by the team.
- Ribbon writer: This position labels the correct ribbon that each swimmer has earned and then sorts them in the team ribbon box.
- Clerk of Course: This position places swimmers in their heat and lane according to the meet sheet. This is done only for individual events. Relays will be taken care of by the coaches. Counts double
**Those who are interested in these volunteer positions need to attend Officials Training. There will be a training on Wednesday, June 7 from 7pm to 9pm at the Herndon Community Center, and also one on Monday, June 12 at the same time and place.